Music Building West Wing Undergoes Renovation
Since fall 2005, the Department of Music has been housed at a single site, the Music Building (previously University High School and the School of Education). Located on the east side of campus, across the street from the Gertrude C. Ford Center for the Performing Arts, the music building holds department offices, classrooms, faculty studios, music technology lab, band and choral rehearsal halls and the David H. Nutt Auditorium.
Due to the need for space utilization, infrastructure changes and meeting energy requirements, renovation began on the building in January 2014.
“The building envelope was original, which means it did not meet current energy efficiency standards,” said Dave LaBanc, facilities projects and space management coordinator. “Additionally, the floor plan did not meet the current needs of the Music Department.”
With a budget of $4.3 million, the project will completely renovate the west wing of the building to include a new standing seem metal roof, as well as new facades and an entrance portico for the west wing.
A new porch on the west end of the building will be added for use during receptions and events. New mechanical systems will be placed in both the south wing and Nutt Auditorium.
Architectural services are provided by Shafer & Associates in Starkville with D. Carroll Construction of Oxford serving as contractor.
The two-story back wing of this building was constructed in 1929 for use as University High School. A 1956 addition included a gymnasium, a front wing to be used as a library, administrative offices and classrooms. When University High School closed in 1963, the School of Education moved in and stayed until 2005. The east and south wings of the music building, along with the David H. Nutt Auditorium, were completely renovated between 2000 and 2005, when the music department moved into the building.
The west wing is scheduled to reopen for spring 2015 classes.