Info Panel
  Home  /  History  /  Facts about the 1910’s

Facts about the 1910’s

1911 – Loan fund reached $1,000 with all but $32 loaned out. Dr. Christopher Longest assumed responsibility of fund for the next 36 years. He proposed the idea of a scholarship in each county. 

1913 – The dedication of Peabody Hall.

1914 – Richard Marion Leavell elected president of the Alumni Association. Joseph Neely Powers became chancellor of the University.

1915 – Resolution adopted to establish a Hall of Fame for distinguished Alumni.

1916 – Hall of Fame established. 

1917 – No commencement exercises due to World War. Student government program established.

1918 – New membership requirements established: “Any graduate or former student of at least 2 years residence at the University…” could be a member.

Dues were placed in force at $2.50 for the annual fee or a $50 contribution to the building fund or the Loan Fund qualified one for a Life Membership. 

All voting members(dues paid) would receive official publication of Association.

First proposed a paid secretary for the Board of Trustees. 

1919 – Memorial tablet presented to class of 1869 at fifteenth reunion for alumni who gave their lifves in World War. The old dormitories known as LaBauve, Madison, and Washington were sold to J.W. Stillion’s Sons.

Changed student membership requirement from 2 years to 1 year.

Alumni Presidents

1910-1911

Gordon Garland Lyell

1911-1912

William Shryoc Hemingway

1912-1913

Duke McDonald Kimbrough

1913-1914

Walter Thurston Pate

1914-1915

Richard Marion Leavell

1915-1916

John Morgan Stevens

1916-1917

John Wesley Cutrer

1917-1918

John Wesley Cutrer

1918-1919

Julius Robertson Tipton

1919-1920

Alfred Holt Stone

  1910  /  History  /  Last Updated January 18, 2019 by Allie Bush  /