1851 – First year of graduation.
1852 – First Alumni Association called Alumni Society organized for the first session with 23 members in attendence. John Bannister Herring from Pontotoc was first president and Thomas E. Bugg was first recording secretary.
Earliest account of a social event called “complimentary party” was held.
The old chapel built.
1853 – 1st recorded minutes of Society
1854 – Law School program established.
Society met in July. 1st committee for resolutions formed. Resolutions honoring deceased members published in Memphis and Jackson papers.
1855 – Name of Alumni Society changed to Alumni Association. John L. Hudson was elected president.
1856 – Fredrick A.P. Barnard became president of the University
1857 – First initiation fee of $1.00 required for Alumni Association.
1858 – First law graduates were admitted to the Alumni Association. Agreed that each member would contribute $1 annually for expenses.
1859 – Richard Wright Phipps became president of the Alumni Association. The title for Dr. Barnard changed from president to chancellor on November 24, 1859.
From the Archives:
John Bannister Herring
John L. Hudson