Construction Progresses on Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry Lecture and Laboratory Space
Improvements to Coulter Hall are creating two additions and renovating existing laboratory space.
The additions are a reflection of the unprecedented growth the university has experienced over the past decade and its commitment to strengthening the university’s research facilities and reputation.
The four-story east addition includes research laboratory space with support offices for student workers and staff. The single-story north addition includes a 200-seat auditorium, updated lobby and food service installation provided by Starbucks.
Existing research laboratories will be renovated to serve as undergraduate teaching laboratories. While work has not begun on this portion of the project, it is included in the overall plan.
Construction began in September 2013, with an expected completion date of May 2015 and an estimated cost of $16 million.
The design team is a joint venture of Barlow Eddy Jenkins, P.A., and Cooke Douglass Farr Lemmons, P.A., both of Jackson, with Carothers Construction, Inc. of Oxford serving as contractor.
Completed during the academic year 1977-78, Coulter Hall provides lecture and laboratory space for the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. It is named in memory of Victor Aldine Coulter, member of the Department of Chemistry, 1920-1960, and dean of the College of Liberal Arts, 1936-1957. Renovated in 2009, it houses teaching and research laboratories, a machine shop and a glass-blowing shop.
To stay in the loop on campus construction, road closures, parking changes and more click here.